<body> <body>

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 @7:17 AM

Do you like shopping? Do you shop when only you need something? When you're shopping (or window shopping), do you simply pick up things you see that kind of attract you and try them out? Do you buy something even though you're not 100% sure you really like it but just for the fun's sake thinking "oh why not?"?

I am not so much into shopping. I shop when I need to get something. In fact I had the habit of just purchasing the stuff I wanted without trying. Well if I already know what I wanted to get (the specific brand, the design, the colour, the price range), why would I bother to waste all the effort in trying? But don't you want to try on the size, maybe what you see is different from what you think? Believe me, I do understand this. So gradually I don't mind trying a bit when I shop. But I still don't try too many. I'll only try on stuff that I know I am close to liking it and the only reason I try before buying is I need to decide which one to get because I can't have all of them due to practical reasons. Plus if it is a good one, it'll most likely last for a long long while.

Still, I seldom window shop. I've only accompanied my friends when we were going out to shop. That's the only time I window shop. When I say window shop, is basically I walk around with my companions while they window shop but actually I am not even really looking. Many people including my friends are so excited in picking something they think is cute or new without thinking whether they truly like it or thinking the possibility to ending up in buying it.

I always have the thought "if I'm not going to buy it, why do I bother in trying?". True, it doesn't cost a penny to try and there's even a possibility that I may end up liking it and want to buy it later. However, if I know I will never end up liking it, why do I still want to waste my time to join the queue for the changing room or taking the trouble of undressing, getting dressed, undressing again and getting dressed another time? What if I'm in a dilemma later that I end up having some liking to the pair of "jeans", which is usually not my typical preference yet I'm not totally sure I'll like it and wear it later if I buy it.

Sure, I can always buy it and try a few more times because there's a 2-week or 30-day warranty. I can return to the shop and ask for an exchange or a refund. But for a lazy person like me, I may be very likely end up tolerating the pair of "jeans" or hide it at the bottom of my wardrobe. Maybe as time goes by, fondness may have grown and I am so used to its existence though it is not my ideal type. Who knows right? Anything can happen.

But what if the pair of "jeans" is not returnable? Does that mean I'll have to keep it in my wardrobe forever? If I keep on shopping and repeating the same cycle, there is a higher chance for me in stacking up unwanted "jeans" in my wardrobe and I may have to extend my wardrobe. Of course I can give away or throw them all out. But then in that case, I didn't have to be so spendthrift if I did not simply buy them without making sure I truly want them in the first place. Worse still, say these pairs of "jeans" have emotions. They sure might feel hurt too if I take them and then later ignoring them or trashing them. I might have the hidden strings of attachments too and feel heartache a little when I need to get rid of them.

"If you don't window shop and just shop when you have to, you will miss out a lot of fun stuff in life. Your ideal preference in your mind may just only exist in your mind and not elsewhere. Window shopping let you know the trends in the market, new products are coming up every season." My friends have been telling me this. But I am not a trendy person. I just want something simple that suits me and makes me look elegant. "That is your problem. The design in your mind might be out of fashioned or never exist in the market. You will never get to buy one when you seriously need it if you're fixed to your mindset."

Perhaps what my friends said is correct unless I decided not to wear "jeans" anymore. *wink* But I still fancy "jeans" thus I should do more window shopping. And when I see some "jeans" that look cool though not my ideal preference, I shouldn't fear of trying them as long as I keep them in perfect condition if I don't want to buy them. But I will definitely not buy it if I am not sure I will wear it or not. I guess it is really a matter of moderation. I don't want any side loss. Oh, don't forget, some shops have this sign in the checkout counter. Goods sold are not refundable. *lol* So it is still advisable of not creating trouble to oneself.

every page of my imagination




& PROFILE



Viewing the fleeting world
- a star at dawn; a bubble in the stream; a flash of lightning in a summer cloud; a flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream together with Jade



& Tune In To ...




& ARCHIVES

August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007


& ARTICULATE