<body> <body>

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 @11:46 AM

Life is full of decision-makings. We have to decide every single thing from small matters like "what to eat for dinner?" "what plans for the coming weekend?" to major issues like "which job offer to take?" "which guy do I want to spend the rest of my life with?" "when to purchase properties?" All these little junctions we come across, we have to decide which directions to take. And each junction leads to different paths. This continues as long as we live. Don't you feel exhausted in weighing all goods and bads, pros and cons of each choice? Plus the perplexities of life is holding us back in placing our faith to all these decisions. What if A doesn't turn out to be better than B? If only I'd taken C then I won't have suffered from X, Y and Z. So with all these fears, we are more cautious each time in every decision-making.

Sometimes I wish I could remain as a child, then I would not have to worry to make my own decisions. When I was young, my parents took care all matters for me and I didn't have much say for my own things. It wasn't what I wanted all the time there then. There were times I really wished I could decide for myself. And now, I have all my freedom in deciding whatever I want, yet I realize it's never easy to make just a simple decision. No one can decide for me. I turn to my parents. They don't interfere that much now. I begin to miss the dictatorship of my parents. Probably they think their little girl is old enough to decide for herself. Or maybe they just can't decide for me because the situation is equally tough for them to make a decision best for their child? Just choosing between A and B has caused our hair grey and more wrinkles on our face. We can literally see the frown when we start to weigh about all the pros and cons for each option. How we wish there aren't so many options available to bother us. Isn't it a bliss if we have just one option, the option?

There are times when we feel we are left with no choice. There only seems to be one road in this area. And we feel stuck too thinking, "I don't like this. Can't I have a better choice?" Again, we start to worry and feel upset because we are kind of forced to take the only "leftover". We aren't asking for more, are we? We just wish to have another option other than this not so appealing one. But why we just can't have it?

I was taught to make a list of pros and cons of each option and then decide. We can choose the option with more pros than cons. That's simple right? But things are not as simple as they are. Sometimes one single tiny point written in the con's column will blow out and weighs us down, not now but some day. Boy, now since we are aware of this, don't we fear more?

So what should we do? Follow our heart. Go for the one we feel more comfortable with. Imagine what each option we choose will be like in future, say few years down the track. But don't totally rely on the imagination because things are changing all the time. Our taste bud is changing. The options are changing. The pros and cons are changing too. Maybe the pros will become the cons one day. A person who is there for you 24/7 is a pro now in the list. But who knows one day you find that's way too clingy and that certainly will be crossed out in the pros' column but will be updated in the cons'. With things changing all the time, it would be rather futile if we decide based on a certain predicted outcome pictured in our mind. Pros and cons serve as a guide but we have to be aware of the changing condition for all matters as a natural phenomenon. Follow our own heart is the best. Go for the one we feel comfortable so we will not regret one day because of our own decisions and never look back to those "what ifs". Even if one day it turns out not what we expected, we still shouldn't regret because that's the best option that we opted for.

If there's none that we feel most comfortable, maybe putting it aside for a while serves as another option during our decision-making. Remember, things are changing and time will tell. There are times I just can't decide which direction to turn, then I wait a little, parking the car at a corner. After sometime I hear the traffic update reporting a major traffic jam along Road 101 (that joins Road A). So Road A option is closed and I can just happily go for Road B. Even if I've turned into Road A and then only I get the traffic update about the bad condition of Road 101. It is still not so serious if we find our way to turn to Road 102 (that also joins Road A). We may end up making a longer detour but who knows Road 102 may give a better scenic view? Even there's no other road options, getting stuck in a traffic jam is part of an experience of the journey. Maybe there are some interesting drivers in the next lane who worth a peek heh?

When we are left with no choice that we have to accept, then there's no point sobbing about it. Oh, actually we do have a choice! It's either we accept it happily or we take it while being upset. There's always more than one road in the path. I'm sure this only road we have at the moment will lead to other roads down the path. At least for the moment, we can have lesser worries because we don't have to frown to go through all the pros and cons and then choose one out of the many alternatives. This really makes our complicated lives a whole lot easier. Don't you think so?

It is tough when it comes to decision-makings. It is even tougher if we want to make the best decision in our lives. And we have countless decisions to make, including this one. Is life a cliffhanger? Or does life suck? Man, not another decision to make again?! *lol*

every page of my imagination




& PROFILE



Viewing the fleeting world
- a star at dawn; a bubble in the stream; a flash of lightning in a summer cloud; a flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream together with Jade



& Tune In To ...




& ARCHIVES

August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007


& ARTICULATE