<body> <body>

Thursday, January 19, 2006 @5:25 PM

She said she knew me when I was in Grade One.

She said she’d heard about me when we were 7.

She said I was snotty and cold.

She said she’d heard a lot about me, mostly on some not-so-positive things.

I didn’t believe her. How could that be possible?

I told her our first acquaintance was in Grade Three and not Grade One. I was leading the school’s disciplinary team. There were twenty odd more students working in the team and I hardly knew any of them other than the few from my own class. She’s one of those twenty plus students who was a complete stranger to me.

We hardly talked to each other initially. Maybe she’s right; I was just too unsociable…

As time went by, I started opening up myself gradually and we said hello to each other some times.

A year later, the system of academic performance segregation brought us to the same class.

We became a bit closer though we hung out with our bunch of friends respectively.

Something happened. The teacher placed us competing on the same racing track, yet we ended up holding our hands running forward together.

We only shared the same class for 4 years throughout the 11 years of schooling.

After that, we headed to different path separately; I left home and she continued her studies at home.

She always sends birthday greetings to me each year no matter where I am. On the other hand, since absent-minded is always my trademark; I always end up sending a belated birthday greeting to her. Believe it or not, all this while I even remembered her birthday date wrongly until few years ago I accidentally found out myself. I blushed to make an apology and she just smiled and assured it was just a day’s different and thus no big deal.

Whenever I need a pair of ears, she’s always there patiently listening and offers me helpful advice over a distance. Unfortunately I am too engrossed with my own problems most of the time and seldom reciprocate. There were times I did realize that she also needed a pair of ears yet I wasn’t able to be a patient listener. She in return consoled me that she’s doing fine and I need not worried about that.

We talked about our dreams and ambitions when we were younger. We used to share the same career aspiration. However, our paths diverged 10 years ago. I am now the one left in the battle. Yet, I know I am not alone. She keeps on sending me boosters of words of motivation while I march the path all by myself.

She mentioned about me to her significant other. And better still happily made him helped me although I was too embarrassed to seek help most of the time. She kept telling me, “Just yell anytime you need any help. We’ll be there.”

Funny it is to mention that during my first few years away from home, there were numerous times I was so bummed and bothered by different problems and matters. Although she’s thousands miles away, she could just sense it telepathically. You won’t believe that she was there ready to pick up my calls telling me, “I am actually expecting your call because I had a feeling that you’d call today.” when I desperately needed to talk to someone. Or she would just send me emails to make me feel I wasn’t alone.

All these years, we only manage to meet up once a year, briefly. There were times we just couldn’t make it. It was either she’s too busy or my visit to home was just too short. Nevertheless, our bond always remains despite the distance and the low frequency of hanging out together. We never doubt about this fact. Oh, I lied; I actually did once….at one stage, we were too caught up at work to the extent that either of us initiated an email but the other failed to reply. I was beginning to have this fear. Are we not that close anymore? Why am I losing faith to the 18 years of friendship? Is the bond still there?

I’m really glad that I was just thinking too much. The friendship is still there. I took it for granted all this while. Thank goodness she was understanding and didn’t let my imbecile behavior ruin our precious friendship!

I’d like to thank her for taking the arrogant snob as her friend around 20 years ago in spite of all those negative rumours she’d heard. And better still accompanied me walking through the transformation and recognized me as her best friend.

I can’t help to thank her for being supportive when I’m on my roller coaster rides and also to always be there to share all my happiness.

Best friend is someone who’s close like our sibling yet we won’t feel the uncomfortable barrier and we’re not biologically related. Best friend is someone whom we can just share literally about everything. Best friend is someone who’s also emotionally close like our significant other, yet he/she is different from our significant other because we can complain (or I should say seek advice when we have relationship problems with our SO) to our best friend. *lol*

I am indeed very grateful to have someone to call my best friend. Thank you so much, Miss D! :)

every page of my imagination




& PROFILE



Viewing the fleeting world
- a star at dawn; a bubble in the stream; a flash of lightning in a summer cloud; a flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream together with Jade



& Tune In To ...




& ARCHIVES

August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007


& ARTICULATE