<body> <body>

Sunday, July 02, 2006 @10:25 PM

After weeks of trying to crank out something for the manuscript, I’m finally done with the first draft and handed it to my supervisors. I know it was not well written. I call it a piece of poop.

I participated a support group to brainstorming a fellow candidate in preparation for a doctoral dissertation. When the candidate was questioned about her work, she did not sound too confident in explaining her work. One of the support group members told her firmly, “Hey, this is your work. No one else in the world knows better than you. You’re the expert in this. So be proud when describing your thesis work and tell everyone out loud, ‘This is my work. Our group did this. We did that.”!”

Yes, that’s the spirit to go. No matter what we are doing, we have to love what we are doing and be proud of it. Of course I don’t mean things that are not ethical or morally incorrect. If we don’t even feel interested and lack of passion on whatever we are doing, who else will be? It does make an obvious difference. Someone who put in the effort and injected passion in a piece of work compared to someone who just did it just because he/she had to. Believe it or not, others would be able to tell the difference from the quality of the work.

Yep, I know the piece of poop was not a masterpiece. Neither was it going to cure cancer immediately. Nevertheless, I’m proud of it because I’ve learned so much during the process of starting the project. The project was started as an intention to decipher the genetics of cancer. We were only making baby steps. It may not be helpful now or even 50 years down the track for curing cancer. I believe at least we were trying to contribute one piece to the gigantic jigsaw puzzle.

Boy, I’m so pooped for making this poop. I desperately need a break now, for more poops in future. :)


every page of my imagination




& PROFILE



Viewing the fleeting world
- a star at dawn; a bubble in the stream; a flash of lightning in a summer cloud; a flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream together with Jade



& Tune In To ...




& ARCHIVES

August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
December 2007


& ARTICULATE